La Antigua del Valle- An ECO friendly development in Atenas, Costa Rica!
La Antigua del Valle is an exciting new development located in Atenas, Costa Rica, known for having “the best climate in the world”. This small boutique development offers individually designed eco friendly homes with optional solar technology and recycled water systems. In addition the homes are built using recycled materials and as many eco-friendly products as possible helping to keep Costa Rica “green” in every aspect.
La Antigua del Valle consists of just over six acres of land offering an abundance of wildlife and amazing views to San Jose, the Central Valley and impressive sunset views over the Pacific ocean. Every detail has been taken into account from the design of the main gated entrance, the interior cobble stone road to the landscape. Costa Rica prides itself on being a country of peace and conservation and we are doing our best to be a part of that effort. Every day Costa Rica becomes more and more eco friendly with technological advances in generating clean energy, eco tourism, eco resorts, and eco developments. Little by little we can all do our part to keep our Costa Rican paradise pristine.
Location: La Antigua del Valle is located in Estanquillos, Atenas, Costa Rica, just a short 12 minute drive from the center of Atenas, where everything you need is at your finger tips. San Jose is a 30 minute drive via the new San Jose -Caldera Highway (27), 45 minutes to the closest Pacific beaches, and 25 minutes to Juan Santamaria International Airport.
It has been said for years that Atenas has one of “the best climates in the world”, with temperatures that range from the mid 80‘s during the day to the low 60‘s at night making for “eternal spring” like conditions. In 2010 AARP, the largest associations of retired people in the world, listed Atenas in it’s top 10 places to retire abroad. With all this acclaim over the years there is no wonder why Atenas has become a major retirement destination for expats from around the world, putting Atenas’ real estate in high demand.
In addition to a stellar location, Atenas has everything you need all packed into a small town, giving you the feeling that you are living in Mayberry. Boasting a population of around 28,000 inhabitants, Atenas offers just over one square mile of land for each inhabitant. Our downtown area offers everything with amenities such as:
- Three banks (Banco Nacional, Banco de Costa Rica, and Banco Popular).
- Four supermarkets (CoopeAtenas, Pali, MegaSuper and El Canario).
- Convenient Central market, with a wide array of fresh meats, fruits, vegetables and soda’s.
- Various bakeries such as Musmani, Santa Clara and Buen Pan y Tomas.
- Several pharmacies including Farmacia Don Juan and Farmacia Central.
- A variety of churches with denominations such as Catholic and Christian with services in Spanish and English.
- A great assortment of Bars and Restaurants like La Trocha, La Trilla, Don Yayo’s, Guanacaste, Mirrador and Don Taedo’s Sports Bar.
- Clothing Stores.
- Electronics stores including Roes, Importadora Monge, Gollo, Casa Blanca.
- Hardware and building supplies from family run businesses such as Vargas, Miranda, Depositorio Los Angeles.
The most important part of Atenas is it’s people. They are always warm and friendly, will greet you with a smile and lend a helping hand when needed. These are just some of the reasons why so many expats call Atenas, Costa Rica home!
The Community: As you enter the gate at La Antigua del Valle you realize you are at home. With it’s beautiful colonial entrance adorned with iron work and natural stone walls, tropical plantings and cobble stone road, home awaits you just around the corner. La Antigua del Valle consists of six uniquely designed homes with a twist on the traditional Spanish Colonial style. The community as a whole offers just over 6 acres of land, with home sites ranging in size from just over 1/2 acre to 1.25 acres. Each and every lot has amazing views; some towards San Jose, other the Pacific coast, and a privileged few boast both views!
La Antigua del Valle offers an abundance of nature and wildlife. Being surrounded by coffee plantations and private fincas, the community has well as over 10,000 trees and plants, including coffee, old growth mango and avocados, cedro, corteza amarillo, higueron, and robles, many of which are covered with wild orchids and bromeliads, helping to create a beautiful habitat for wildlife. Hundreds of banana plants cover the property attracting many bird species. At La Antigua del Valle we also experience daily visits by butterflies, hummingbirds, toucans, wild cats and coyotes. The nature in Costa Rica is one of the counties biggest draws. La Antigua del Valle is a nature lovers paradise.
The Homes: Each home has been uniquely and carefully designed with every detail taken into consideration. These are not your typical tract homes. Their traditional Spanish Colonial designs are warm and welcoming. Eco friendly products have been incorporated into each home but with every modern convenience at your finger tips.
The Ginger: The Ginger is completed and ready for it’s new owners.
- Three bedrooms, three full baths, 350 m2 (3800 s.f.) of construction on a stunning 1.25 acre lot with additional building site.
- Traditional Colonial U shape layout with a swimming pool in the interior courtyard.
- Large front porch as well as interior wrap around porch (around the courtyard) with traditional cane (cana brava) ceilings .
- Spacious open living areas with 15 foot high barrel ceilings and walls of sliding glass doors that open onto the interior and exterior porches.
- Large kitchen with beautiful custom and locally handcrafted hardwood cabinets, natural granite countertops, hand painted copper dome ceiling, prep island/breakfast bar and stainless steel KitchenAid appliances.
- Three spacious bedroom suites with vaulted wood beam ceilings, built-in closets, large sliding glass doors offering stunning views and luxurious bathrooms.
- The bathrooms feature locally hand made artisan tiles, double vanities with vessel sinks and polished bronze fixtures. The master bath features a large double walk-in shower and soaker tub with a glass enclosure (ceiling too) that make you feel like you are bathing in the garden.
- Custom made iron chandeliers and light fixtures, handmade by local craftsmen.
- Traditional handmade clay tile floors.
- Priced at $495,000.00.
The Haliconia: The Haliconia is currently under construction and some of the many features it will include are:
- Two bedrooms plus office, two and a half baths, 250 m2 (2700 s.f.) of construction on a large 1 acre lot.
- Large open floor plan with spacious living areas featuring vaulted wood ceilings.
- Custom kitchen with locally handmade hardwood cabinetry, granite countertops, hand painted domed ceiling and stainless steel appliances package.
- Two spacious master bedroom suits with walk-in closets and en suite bathrooms, both with custom dome skylight ceilings, double vanities, walk-in showers, and one with a corner soaker tub.
- Gas appliances (range, dryer, hot water heater, grill and fireplace).
- Custom locally handmade iron chandeliers and light fixtures.
- Handcrafted and locally made artisan tile work.
- Large front porch.
- Two car carport.
- Priced at $395,000.00.
Each home features large picture widows and walls of sliding glass doors to take advantage of Atenas’ eternal spring like climate and the AMAZING VIEWS, creating the ultimate in indoor/outdoor living! In addition, some of the homes feature fireplaces which provide warmth and romance for those crisp nights.The details of each home have been carefully considered, and then reconsidered. Some of the construction details include:
- Solid concrete and steel construction to meet Costa Rica’s stringent anti seismic codes and standards.
- Optional Solar electrical systems.
- Recycled “banana plastic” roofs.
- Natural stone and river rock.
- Sustainable wood (Teak) and recycled wood products.
- Low flow toilets.
- Gas appliances.
- Use of native plants in the landscape.
- Hand made artisan tiles.
- Custom made iron chandeliers and lighting.
- Natural colored “no paint’ exterior stucco for low maintenance.
- Aluminum window and doors for minimal maintenance.
- 90% of the products we put into our homes are locally produced.
We at La Antigua del Valle invite you out to take a look at a new concept in living and building. Come and discover for yourself what so many other have found living a new life in Atenas.Costa Rica. With tourism in Costa Rica on the rise, these homes make for beautiful vacation homes, or just the perfect retirement retreat!
Costa Rica Realtors Chamber
Tours in Costa Rica
Pure Life Development of Atenas is a full service tour company. We feature full vacation packages and day trips for the family. Our tour director Nelson Conejo is very experienced and provides a personal service and attention to detail second to none in Costa Rica. Please write Nelson or give him a call to arrange your next Costa Rican vacation at (506)2446-0447 or
Retirement Living in Atenas
Interview with Pure Life Development co-founder and certified realtor Dennis Easters, about Costa Rica ranked by AARP as "one of the best places to retire abroad".